You're going to experience some basic tasks that are used by journalists to gather data and produce data graphics.
Links for data journalism classes
- Python Experience (part 1) (This is a Google doc: You can save a copy and add your own notes.)
- Weather Underground: To be used in the Data 1 assignment
- Students' airport assignments (link to come): To be used in the Data 1 assignment (use the airport and the year assigned to you)
- An outcome of the Data 1 assignment (graphic generated in Excel)
- Baby Steps in Data Journalism (your instructor's Tumblr blog; full of notes and links)
Link to text-editor programs
TextWrangler is 100% free. Download and install this. (See a screenshot of Python code in TextWrangler.) DO NOT use TextEdit!
Sublime Text 2 costs $70 and is preferred by some programmers.
TextMate costs $55 and is preferred by some programmers.
Code from Yau, chapter 2 (download)
Find the link on this page.
Link to course syllabus